About the CPD short course
This short course is conducted over two days and is equivalent to 14 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours. Please note that this program is subject to change.
Who should attend?
This is a two-day comprehensive ECG interpretation and arrhythmia management short course designed for clinicians who require knowledge and skills to interpret a normal 12-lead electrocardiogram and to recognise deviations from normal.
Topics covered include arrhythmia interpretation and assessment with special emphasis on locating types of MI (myocardial infarction), normal axis deviations and identifying electrolyte imbalance, medical and nursing management.
Dates and locations
We are currently finalising our calendar of CPD short courses for the first half of 2017. If you would like to be informed when dates are announced, you can register for email notifications.
If you would like to tell us which courses you would like to see in your area, please click here to complete a short survey.
|RN member $327.00||RN non-member $385.00|
Key learning outcomes
On completion participants will be better able to:
- identify the components of an ECG complex, their significance and variations
- recognise details of cardiac impulse conduction and their relationship to arrhythmias
- review the functions of leads, planes and techniques for determining the heart’s electrical axis
- identify changes associated with acute coronary syndromes
- describe the causes, significance, treatment, and nursing implications in the different types of heart blocks and arrhythmias
- analyse modalities of treatment for arrhythmias – non-pharmacological and pharmacological
- demonstrate knowledge application of interpreting abnormalities in a 12-lead ECG.
|0845 – 0900||Registration|
|0900 – 0915||Welcome and introductions|
|0915 – 1030|
A brief overview of:
|1030 – 1045|
|1045 – 1230|
Understanding sinus rhythm
|1230 – 1300||Lunch|
|1300 – 1500|
Life threatening ventricular arrhythmias
Management of arrhythmias
|1500 – 1515||Afternoon tea|
|1515 – 1645|
Group activity - clinical scenarios and immediate nursing interventions
|1645 – 1700||Summary|
|0900 – 0945|
Review normal components of the ECG waveform
Anatomy of coronary arteries and lead grouping reflecting anatomic surface areas of the heart
|0945 – 1000||Morning tea|
|1000 – 1200|
Axis deviation and exercises
Bundle branch blocks and exercises
|1200 – 1245||Lunch|
|1245 – 1445|
QT interval and QTC exercises
ECG changes in acute coronary syndromes
|1445 – 1500||Afternoon tea|
|1500 – 1630|
Current guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes
|1630 – 1645||Summary and evaluation|