Graduate Certificate in Nursing (Bridging and Re-entry)

Information for international students

You are here:

If you are an international student you will need to obtain a visa to study at ACN

You are an international student if you are:

  • a holder of a student visa.

You are a local student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of a visa (other than a student visa).


To ensure that the Institute of Higher Education deliver quality education and a high level of care to overseas students on a student visa the Australian Government has created a legal framework. This Framework consists of:

For further information about your rights and responsibilities as an international student before and during your study please see Australian Government’s Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) regulatory framework

Steps to obtaining a student visa

  1. Apply online
  2. Receive an offer and formally accept it, by signing and returning the offer acceptance and supporting documentation
  3. Pay your tuition fee
  4. Organise your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  5. Receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  6. Obtain your student visa – apply to the Australian Department of Home Affairs
  7. Arrive on time for orientation

Student visa conditions

Visa conditions are the rules of your visa. They are set by Australian law and must be followed as the Department of Home Affairs may cancel your visa if you breach these conditions.

These include:

  • maintaining a full-time study load
  • satisfactory academic progress
  • completing your course within the timeframe outlined on your eCoE
  • working no more than 40 hours per fortnight during any study period
  • notifying ACN of your address within seven days of your arrival, and if you change your address later
  • holding Overseas Student Health Cover from an Australian Government-approved provider for the duration of your visa
  • maintaining adequate schooling arrangements if you have school-age dependants in Australia
  • notifying ACN of any changes to your visa.

For a full list of your student visa conditions see the Department of Home Affairs website.

International students policies and assurance

The International Student Course Withdrawals and Refunds outlines how ACN will manage refunds of tuition fees and other administrative fees for fee paying international students.
​International Student Course Withdrawals and Refunds
International Student Refund Request

The International Student Transfer and Release policy sets out the circumstances (i) where ACN will allow an international student to transfer to ACN prior to the completion of six months of study of their principle course and (ii) when ACN will release an international student to another registered provider.
International Student Transfer and Release

The Deferring Suspending or Cancelling Enrolment – International Students policy outlines the ACN process for deferring suspending or cancelling an enrolment of an international student in the Graduate Certificate of Nursing (Bridging and Re-entry) program.
Deferring Suspending or Cancelling Enrolment – International Students

Living in Sydney and Parramatta

Students organise their own accommodation in private housing throughout Parramatta and surrounding suburbs. Please see a list of a few websites below that will help you to start your accommodation research:

Please note: All options should be checked thoroughly by students to ensure satisfaction prior to any payment being made. ACN has no personal experience regarding the services provided at these properties.

Living Costs
Australia is one of the world’s most popular places to live and study, with areas of spectacular beauty, cosmopolitan cities and an education system renowned for its excellence throughout the world. The Study in Australia website provides a guide to the average cost of living, which you’ll find useful as you start to prepare for your studies here. Please visit Study in Australia.

Public transport
Australia has excellent infrastructure for public transport, whether you wish to travel by train bus or even ferry. Our college is well connected to transport links making it easy for you to commute to class with a 5-8 minute walk from Parramatta train station and bus terminal.

Students will need an Opal card to travel around Sydney on trains and buses. Please go to the Opal Card website at for more information.

Student support

ACN provides international student support services and includes:

  • Academic and English support
  • Non-academic support
  • Visa support

More information on these services will be provided to you during orientation.


As an international student, you are required to have OSHC to ensure that you are covered in the case of medical emergencies or illness.

What does OSHC provide?

  • OSHC covers international students for certain medical costs if you need to visit a doctor or go to hospital
  • Check the policy carefully, including the details of what is covered
  • Extra cover is available for an additional fee
  • Serious medical problems should be treated before you come to Australia, as standard OSHC generally does not cover pre-existing medical conditions

You may choose your own OSHC provider and there are a number to choose from including:

Health InsurerInsurers website
Allianz Global Assistance (Lysaght Peoplecare)

The dates your policy begins and ends must be the same as the length of your visa or your expected arrival and departure dates.

Students from Sweden, Norway, and Belgium may have special arrangements under their own national schemes – check with the Department of Home Affairs to find out if special arrangements apply to you and if you are exempt from the requirement to purchase OSHC.

As holding OSHC is a visa requirement, take care to maintain your cover at all times.