About the CPD short course
This short course is conducted over one day and is equivalent to 7 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours. Please note that this program is subject to change.
Who should attend?
This short course is designed for registered and enrolled nurses who are caring for patients with diabetes in any health setting.
4 April 2017 - Bowral NSW
Southern highlands private hospital
93-95 Bowral Street Bowral 2576
Key Learning Outcomes
On completion participants will be better able to:
- Consolidate knowledge of diagnosis and pathophysiology of different types of Diabetes; and implications for management
- Identify the risk factors for diabetes, commons signs and symptoms and diagnostic criteria
- Increase understanding of general nutritional and physical activity guidelines for health
- Increase understanding of cycle of care for diabetes management including pathology
- Identify the long term risks/complications of diabetes – micro + macrovascular, neurological
- Identify and manage the short term complications of diabetes – hyper + hypoglycemia
- Review and promote safe use of oral and injectable medications
- Review and consolidate skills and knowledge of blood glucose monitoring and target ranges
- Consolidate knowledge and support care of patient with diabetes pre, peri and post operatively
Cheryl Nankivell is a Registered Nurse and Credentialled Diabetes now working with Diabetes NSW and ACT. She has been involved in delivering diabetes care and support to the Illawarra and Shoalhaven communities for approximately the last 15 years; and now more widely across NSW metropolitan and regional areas. Cheryl is experienced in providing clinical support to children and adults living with Type 1, Type 2 and caring for women with gestational diabetes. She is also a certified insulin pump trainer. Cheryl’s role also includes providing education and support for other health professionals; employees, employers, schools and students and mentoring other diabetes educators and allied health professionals.
|8:20am||Welcome and registration|
Overview of Diabetes
Cycle of Care
Pharmacology in Diabetes
Blood Glucose Monitoring
Management of highs and lows
Care of the surgical patient with diabetes
|4:00pm||Evaluation and Close|