From 1 January 2016, New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holders may be eligible to access HELP loans provided they came to Australia as a dependent child and meet the relevant residency criteria. This page will be updated shortly. In the interim, for more information, please read the information at: FAQs NZ
FEE‑HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible fee paying students pay all or part of their tuition fees. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books. The total amount of FEE‑HELP a person can use is known as the ‘FEE‑HELP limit’.
Once a person begins using FEE‑HELP, the amount of FEE‑HELP they have left to use is known as their ‘FEE‑HELP balance’.
- When a term census date is past, FEE-HELP will be incurred to students who apply to study under FEE-HELP;
- It is the student’s responsibility to make sure ATO holds their most current personal information; ATO may hold different information as Nursing governing body; a student needs to make extra notes on their FEE-HELP application if that’s the case;
- ATO Call Centre: 13 28 61;
- If a submission is rejected by ATO, ACN will contact the student to review their key personal information by phone call/email, a student must respond within 3 working days;
- ACN will work with students (been rejected by ATO) to lodge revised data to Education Department and ATO. If for any circumstances which are beyond the control of ACN, the submission is rejected by ATO after multiple re-submissions (2 revisions), ACN will ask the students to pay the tuition fees for their study, and it’s the student’s responsibility to pay the due amount in 10 working days.
You are eligible for FEE‑HELP if you:
- are studying at an approved FEE‑HELP provider (approved provider)
- meet the citizenship and residency requirements:
- you are an Australian citizen or a New Zealand Special Category Visa* holder who meets the long-term residency criteria and who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to your course; OR
- you are a permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit; OR
- are enrolled in an eligible unit of study by the census date for that unit; and
- have not exceeded the FEE‑HELP limit (see below).
*If you hold a New Zealand SCV you will be able to access HELP loans, providing you meet ALL the long-term residency requirements:
- First began residing in Australia at least 10 years ago and at that time you were a child under the age of 18 with no spouse or de facto partner; and
- You have been in Australia for at least:
- a total of eight out of the past 10 years; and
- a total of 18 months out of the last two years.
- If you do not meet all of the above criteria you are not eligible for HELP loans.
Eligible students can borrow up to the FEE‑HELP limit to pay their tuition fees.
For 2017, the FEE‑HELP limit is $100,879 for most students.
The FEE‑HELP limit is a lifetime limit and is not reset or ‘topped up’ by any repayments that you make. The FEE‑HELP limit is the total amount available to eligible students under both the FEE‑HELP and VET FEE‑HELP loan schemes. This means that any amount you borrow under either FEE‑HELP or VET FEE‑HELP will reduce your FEE‑HELP balance until you have reached the FEE‑HELP limit.
Is there a loan fee?
The loan fee does not apply for:
- postgraduate study, including higher degrees by research;
- enabling courses;
- units of study undertaken through Open Universities Australia; or
- bridging study for overseas-trained professionals.
Yes ACN is an approved provider.
For a list of providers who are approved to offer FEE‑HELP, see Providers that offer Commonwealth assistance.
Can I use FEE‑HELP for all my units of study?
You can only use FEE‑HELP for eligible units of study. An eligible unit of study is a subject or unit which:
- is part of a domestic fee paying course of study leading to a higher education award (e.g. Graduate Certificate)
Will previous study or other debts affect my eligibility?
No (unless you have already reached your FEE‑HELP limit). Any previous study you have undertaken, and any other financial debts you may have incurred will not affect your eligibility to access a FEE‑HELP loan. As long as you meet the above eligibility criteria and have enough of your FEE‑HELP balance (see below) left to cover your tuition fees, you will be able to access FEE‑HELP.
Remember, the FEE‑HELP limit is a lifetime limit. Any loans used under FEE‑HELP or VET FEE‑HELP will reduce your FEE‑HELP balance until you have reached the FEE‑HELP limit.
Before applying, read through this manual.
To apply for a FEE-HELP loan, you will need a tax file number (TFN) and a Request for FEE-HELP assistance form (this is only available from your provider). Before you sign and submit your form you must read the FEE-HELP information booklet. The form will ask you to provide your TFN. If you don't have a TFN, you can give your provider a Certificate of application for a TFN. This certificate is available from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) after you have applied for a TFN. Contact the ATO on 13 28 61 for TFN information.
You must submit the signed and completed form to your provider before the census date or administrative date. If you do not submit your form on or before the census date, you will not be eligible for a FEE-HELP loan.
Note: You have six weeks from the census date of a unit to correct any errors on your form that would prevent you from being eligible for FEE-HELP.
For important information on the census and administrative dates, see Deadlines and withdrawals.
Privacy notice for the Commonwealth Assistance Forms.
Currently studying a Graduate Certificate with ACN
Applying for a Graduate Certificate course with FEE-HELP