About the CPD short course
This short course is conducted over one day and is equivalent to 7 continuing professional development (CPD) hours. Please note that this program is subject to change.
Who should attend?
This short course is designed for nurses seeking to improve therapeutic communication between the nurse and the health care team in the clinical handover. It aims to highlight the importance of effective communication to improve patient safety and reduce adverse outcomes. Participants will develop skills to fit changes into current work practice.
Dates and locations
We are currently finalising our calendar of CPD short courses for the first half of 2017. If you would like to be informed when dates are announced, you can register for email notifications.
If you would like to tell us which courses you would like to see in your area, please click here to complete a short survey.
|RN member $187.50||RN non-member $219.50|
|EN member $153.50||EN non-member $186.00|
Key learning outcomes
On completion participants will be better able to:
- review the basics of communication and impediments to successful communication
- understand the importance of effective communication
- improve the outcomes for patients by identifying key patient issues and ensuring that this information is appropriately disseminated to clinical staffdevelop skills to ensure clinical handover has a predetermined format and structure
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a standardised handover sheet
- review the issues surrounding confidentiality of information
- identify the importance a positive team member contributes to improving the clinical handover.
Registration and welcome
The communication process:
Morning tea break
Why the need to change?
The tools of the handover process
Clinical handover in the aged care setting
Improving your handover skills
End of day