Note: You will need to enrol in both Modules 7 and 8 to cover both the upper and lower limbs.
This four-hour module has been designed for both Enrolled and Registered Nurses to revise situations where you are assessing a patient’s upper limbs for muskuloskeletal and/or neurovascular problems.
This module will provide you with the combination of knowledge, skills, attitudes, values and abilities that will underpin your actions when assessing these patients.
The content is interspersed with questions followed by a quiz at the end of the module.
By completing this module you’ll earn four CPD hours and achieve these learning outcomes:
- Update your knowledge of the skeleton including skeletal muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons and cartilage.
- Update your knowledge of pain and pain aetiology
- Review history taking from a musculoskeletal and neurovascular perspective
- Investigate the implications of fluid movement and hydration
- Revise and consolidate your knowledge of upper limb musculoskeletal assessment using: ‘look’, ‘feel’ and ‘move’
- Revise and consolidate your knowledge of upper limb neurovascular assessment using: ‘tone’, ‘power’, ‘reflexes’ and ‘sensation’
- Outline the dangers if inexperienced staff were to perform a musculoskeletal assessment
- Decide on the responsibilities of the assessor and escalation processes
- Review how assessment is incorporated within holistic care and management of patients
- Reflect on previous practice.
|Course code||Not applicable|
|Course dates||On enrolment at your own pace|
|Mode of delivery||Online|
|Course duration||4 CPD hours|
|On campus dates||Nil|
|Textbook and resources||Nil|