Mental Health Court – Brisbane
Applications are invited from suitably qualified psychiatrists for appointment as an assisting clinician to the Mental Health Court.
The assisting clinician provides advice to the Mental Health Court on the meaning and significance of clinical evidence and offers advice about clinical issues relating to the treatment, care and detention needs of a person under the Mental Health Act 2016 and Forensic Disability Act 2011.
The successful candidate(s) will:
- be a Psychiatric Specialist of substantial standing registered in Australia;
- possess sound knowledge of mental illness, the system for providing mental health treatment in Queensland and issues affecting persons with mental illness;
- possess a sound knowledge of the Queensland forensic system for dealing with offenders who are unsound of mind or unfit for trial;
- require an understanding of the rights of the mentally ill, including the right to natural justice;
- require knowledge, or the ability to rapidly acquire the knowledge, of the Mental Health Act 2016 and Forensic Disability Act 2011;
- possess strong interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to relate effectively with the judiciary on psychiatric and medical issues.
Several part-time positions (working variable hours) are available. The positions will commence in 2020, for a period of up to 3 years.
Further information on the Mental Health Act 2016 is available at www.health.qld.gov.au/mental-health-act/.
Application kit: https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobs/QLD-EA314787
Enquiries: Registrar, Mental Health Court Registry (07) 3082 0552
Job ad reference: EA314787
Closing date: Midnight Sunday 14 July 2019