HEAD OF SCHOOL OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE, NSW
- The University of Newcastle is seeking an inspirational and internationally recognised individual for the role of Head of School of Nursing and Midwifery
- We welcome applications from established Heads/Deputy Heads of School and equally from early/mid career academic leaders seeking to step up to this role.
Recognised as one of Australia’s strongest educational brands, The University of Newcastle has developed the most comprehensive health faculty of its kind in Australia, underpinned by unique local and international research collaboration. The Faculty brings together a wide variety of undergraduate, postgraduate and professional training programs aimed at preparing students for rewarding careers and research in the field of health care.
As one of four Schools within the Faculty, the School of Nursing and Midwifery has over 3,000 students and is ranked as the number one post graduate School of Nursing and Midwifery in the country. The School has an innovative approach to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching that focuses on the development of nursing and midwifery knowledge and enhancing the full range of clinical and interpersonal skills needed by nurses and midwives to function as effective practitioners. Due to internal progression, the University is now seeking to appoint an outstanding academic to lead the School on its next phase of development.
In this intellectually challenging and pivotal leadership role, the Head of School of Nursing and Midwifery will:
- Provide strategic leadership across the School, the Faculty and the wider University, building innovative teaching and research capability, shaping transformative student experience and continuing to raise the domestic and international profile of the School.
- Lead a large team and work closely with key stakeholders including the Hunter New England, Central Coast and Mid North Coast Local Health Districts; industry alliances and government to build further collaboration across teaching and research, embedding a culture of partnership and excellence.
- Foster collaborative and dynamic relationships at a national and international level and promote a productive and globally competitive research environment for the School, through research collaboration, external grant income, publication outputs, and research higher degree graduates.
The University is seeking an accomplished and internationally recognised academic leader in Nursing and Midwifery (ideally level E) with a track record of building high performing teams and supporting them to create outstanding teaching and research outcomes across their disciplines. Exceptional interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills are essential in this senior role, as is the ability to inspire people through your enthusiasm and intellectual curiosity.
This is a coveted opportunity to lead the next phase of advancement of the School of Nursing and Midwifery, building a contemporary organisation equipped to address global challenges and achieve outstanding outcomes in teaching, research and innovation. We also encourage applications from suitably qualified internationally based academic leaders.
Located in Newcastle, NSW, this role not only offers a rare leadership opportunity but the chance to enjoy the advantages of living in a vibrant, innovative and cultural city which offers an outstanding quality of life. Located in the Hunter Region, Newcastle is home to beautiful beaches and on the doorstep of the world class wineries of the Hunter Valley, boasting all the advantages of big city life without the stress or high cost of living.
Applications close on Sunday 15th September 2019. Derwent Search has been appointed to undertake an executive search on behalf of The University of Newcastle. For a confidential conversation about this position, please contact Rob Macmillan on 02 9091 3266. To apply or request an Executive Brief, please email Holly Porter, Research Coordinator, on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 25356.