About the CPD short course
This short course is conducted over two days and is equivalent to 14 continuing professional development (CPD) hours. Please note that this program is subject
Who should attend?
This short course focuses on symptom management for chronic and terminal illness and is designed to address the current learning needs of those caring for palliative care patients.
Date and location
We are currently finalising our calendar of CPD short courses for the first half of 2017. If you would like to be informed when dates are announced, you can register for email notifications.
If you would like to tell us which courses you would like to see in your area, please click here to complete a short survey.
|RN member $327.00||RN non-member $385.00|
|EN member $269.00||EN non-member $327.00|
Key learning outcomes
On completion participants will be better able to:
- discuss end-of-life care issues with respect to:
- communication-information strategies; language; nonverbal and verbal
- review end-of-life care in the home versus in hospital
- explore pain management and symptom management
- discuss palliative care issues with respect to pastoral care and spiritual care
- explore issues relating to palliative care and the law
- identify bereavement management strategies and how they can assist the carer.
Registration and welcome
Introduction to the palliative care philosophy
Communication around breaking bad news
Advance care planning
When life is measured in days to weeks
Psychosocial and spiritual aspects of care
Recap and finish
Recap of previous day
Identifying symptoms and planning care
Key principles in assessing and managing common symptoms
Palliative care emergencies
Principles of pain assessment
The management of pain
Loss, grief and bereavement
Self-care and identifying burn out
Review, evaluation and finish