The Aged Care Scholarships will allow for up to 400 additional scholarships per year for three years, for personal care workers and nurses to complete qualifications. There will be up to 100 allied health scholarships per year for up to three years, which will be for allied health professionals to focus on dementia related qualifications.
To be eligible to apply for a scholarship applicants’ must be:
- an Australian Citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- a qualified allied health professional who is either registered with AHPRA or eligible to register with their professional body
- working with providers of residential aged care, community aged care services, multipurpose services or Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander flexible services.
- are currently enrolled or intending to enrol in a course, which commences or is continuing from January – December 2024 in the following:
— Graduate Certificate
— Graduate Diploma
Dementia care related qualifications are eligible. Courses must be relevant to the care of older people or leadership and management:
- Courses related to the care of older people include, but are not limited to: clinical gerontology, behavioral management, dementia care, wound care, continence care, palliative care and infection control.
- Courses related to leadership and management include but are not limited to: postgraduate studies in clinical leadership, leadership and management and health services management.
Applicants will need to respond to the following selection questions in the application:
How will your course improve the quality of people’s lives and of the care you will be delivering to older Australians?
Describe your commitment to aged care including:
- Describe the services you are currently delivering for those 65 years and older, or 55 years and older for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
- The difference your study will make to your work.
Please note: information collected on your cumulative length of aged care experience, rurality and being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander background may be used as a selection weighting to meet aged care workforce need.
Value of the scholarship
The maximum amount of funding is worth up to $15,000 per scholarship, to study either a graduate certificate, graduate diploma or a masters. This is paid on a per semester basis, the amount will depend on your study load.